For those who never had it

In a time when so many of the most powerful leaders of industries and nations seek to kill hope for a better, more peaceful, more equal future, for those who have lost it, for those who never had it, hope for them as you would for yourself.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Unexpected humor in the news today

Both of these I read today and kind of took me by surprise and made me laugh.
DemocracyNow.org
"And finally a new book by former U.S. ambassador Peter Galbraith has raised questions about President Bush's understanding of the Middle East. According to Galbraith, the president didn't understand as recently as 2002 that there were two major branches of Islam in Iraq -- Sunnis and Shiites. At a meeting with Iraqi Americans the president reportedly said, "I thought the Iraqis were Muslims?"
and from CommonDreams.org
Pvt. Anderson said he supported the war at first but changed his mind after he was ordered to shoot at a car speeding toward his checkpoint in Baghdad. He held his fire and saw the car was carrying a family with two small children. "I did the right thing because they were innocent, but my superior said I should have fired anyway," Anderson said.
That is not the good part. Actually that is pretty sad, and sad that it is truely how people think these days. But then I came to...
Ryan Johnson, 22, of Visalia (Tulare County) is pretty confident Canada will let him and his wife, Jenna, stay, but just in case, they are researching options -- like going to Sweden.

uh... -- like not going to touch that one. But cute the way it was worded, I had to laugh.